Friday, August 3, 2012

Pre-Solo Stage Check

Today I went up with another instructor for my pre-solo stage check. Although not required ny the FAA at a Part 61 school, it's something that my school requires.

From what this instructor told me, it serves two purposes. One is to make sure my normal instructor hasn't forgotten anything and two, to get a second set of eyes on my flying skills. Maybe something explained to me 20 times by my regular instructor hasn't made it's point, but phrased a little differently by a new instructor... it suddenly clicks.

I can't say that there was anything dramatic taught to me today that I didn't already know, but it was a very valuable experience, and if nothing else gave me a whole lot more confidence flying out of the airport environment, to the practice area, and back again. I'm very confident that I can do that again while soloing.

With all that being said... the recommendation from this instructor is for me to do 1 or 2 more flights strictly in the pattern to get my landings more consistent. The first landing today was a disaster and the instructor beat me to a a go around. The next two were ok, but not great.

Can I land the plane if I had to? Yes. Will it be pretty? Not necessarily. I'll get there. I'm scheduled for Thursday and if everything goes well, a flight and solo on Sunday of next week.

Full Pre-Solo Stage Check Flight
Today's Flight: 1.2
Total Time: 31.8


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your solo! You are going to be such an amazing pilot and take me everywhere!! Keeping those puke bags fully stocked!!

    I took the liberty to find a source that may help you! Take a look!

    http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-tips-landing-airplane.html

    Love you!

    Sincerely, the greatest wife a man could ask for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Thanks Brit. Appreciate the tips.

    I'm going to really need to order extra bags. LOL

    ReplyDelete